In message <[log in to unmask]> on Wed, 15 Dec
2004, Alan Pritchard <[log in to unmask]> wrote

>I just wonder if a single organisation consisting of both personal and
>corporate members could actually work. Other than just having a few of
>the latter as supporting members. There are enough conflicts of
>interests with differing segments of personal members, but I could see
>much more fundamental conflict between, say, the LA acting as the
>professional regulator of special librarians and attempting to
>represent the interests of the corporate employers of those librarians.

I don't think that there need be conflict in individual and corporate
members working together to develop, promote and benefit from the
activities of the profession. CILIP has made it clear that it does not
have a trades union role in negotiating between employers and employees.

>I may be out of date, but I am not aware of any major organisations
>which operate on this model.

The Museums Association has individual, corporate and institutional
membership categories, the International Council of Museums has
individual and institutional membership, and the Society of Archivists
has fairly recently introduced a category of Institutional Affiliate.
The Institute of Physics has categories for major businesses as well as
for small and medium sized enterprises.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092