Apologies if you receive this more than once.

Colleagues may be interested to know that:

Reading Borough Libraries have just published their final report on
implementing the Disability Discrimination Act.

In late 2002, Reading Borough Libraries applied for funding from the Laser
Foundation to implement new developments, including training, building work,
sensory equipment, ICT and stock. We were delighted when our bid was
accepted - the project started in May 2003.

18 months later, we have brought a new area of the children's library at
Reading Central Library into public use, installed a touch screen PC with
text and speech enhancement software, created a sensory wall for children
fitted with equipment and a bubble tube, purchased new stock and trained a
number of members of staff in basic sign language and sight awareness. We
have been able to purchase items to support work in story and rhyme times,
and to create sensory bags' for our award winning toy library.

The improvements to the building coincided with new lighting - and the
overall effect is fantastic - the library has been given a new lease of life
- and customer use and comments reflect this. A previously blank, hessian
covered wall that faced computer users now has three portholes in it and
features noisy and interactive equipment that the children love. The
computers have been moved to be more 'within' the children's library.

The Children's Library has a rejuvenated look and a whole new set of needs
is being met by the library service - all of our 7 libraries have benefited
from new stock or new equipment. The Laser Foundation's award enabled
Reading Libraries to think about services to its users in new and innovative
ways.

NB:

The Laser Foundation is a grant-making trust which supports projects across
the UK. Its aim is to improve library facilities available to the public.

 <outbind://65/#_ftnref2>

Reading Toy Library won a SureStart 'Partners in Excellence' award in 2003 -
the service is run by Reading Borough Libraries and Reading Borough
Education - and is fully integrated into the library service.

For more information and to see a copy of the final report, please visit
http://www.bl.uk/about/cooperation/laser-award1.html

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.