From: Crawford, John [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 November 2004 16:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CILIP members vote overwhelmingly for flat rate
subscription system

Dear all

I have not contributed to this debate up till now, mainly because of
lack of time but I think Francis makes a good point. I have not had time
to look at all the points made but overall they show a lack of
congruence between CILIP's aims and what members want or as John Briggs
put it rather more succinctly 'Perhaps CILIP should dissolve the
membership and elect a new one'.
I think the discussion generated by the subscription debate has been
very useful and we need a lot more of it.
May I suggest that, as a positive first step, Tim compiles a report
summarising the issues for presentation to an appropriate CILIP
committee for discussion. The Professional Practice Committee would be
ideal and as it meets on January 11th 2005 there is ample time for
preparation.
The essential problem with CILIP, in my view, is that it is an activist
culture, not a rank and file culture (if you want to get a lot out of
CILIP you have to put a lot in) and it is now time to tackle this issue.
While I am aware that CILIP has plans in this direction I think we have
to look for consultation mechanisms which favour the rank and file, not
the activist culture which we presently have. This argues for a lot more
survey and evaluation.
The Group of which I am chairman, the Library and Information History
Group, was one of the first to undertake a membership satisfaction
survey and this without a policy steer from CILIP which has not as yet,
as far as I am aware done anything in this direction.
The discussions show a fair degree of cynicism about CILIP as a
professional body and a simple piece of desk research could help us
here. I believe on anecdotal evidence that disillusionment is widespread
among the members of professional bodies.
I would like to know objectively
1 Is this the case?
2 Are other professional bodies doing anything about and can we learn
from them

This is something that Membership Information Services staff could do.

Best wishes

Dr. John Crawford,
Library Research Officer,
Glasgow Caledonian University,