Thanks to everyone who offered help below are some of the suggestions. I have decided to have a go at creating our own but if it proves a thankless task will be trying suppliers suggested.
Candy

have had a similar problem here and had to resort to paying for Gresswell's self adhesive labels (which I don't think much of - they're very flimsy and the pocket is rather narrow). But there are a lot in one box so I suppose they will last some time - probably still have some left before I retire !!! . For labels, I have been buying blank stiff card and cutting them to size. Fiddly but cheap. I'd be interested in hearing about any replies you may get that could solve these problems. I did think of trying to produce some on the computer but am then stuck with the problem of how to stick them in the book without resorting to using Prit-Stick.

You could try GLS though I don't know if they are cheaper www.glsed.co.uk tel 020 8805 8333

 you could try a company called BGU - we've used them for a couple of things where they've been cheaper than Gresswell's. They are £10.14 per thousand - getting cheaper the more you buy. http://www.bgu-man.co.uk/ [log in to unmask] 0115 986 2460. They do book cards, too.

We had a similar problem but we DID want self-adhesive labels. Because the stationers were so expensive we started experimenting on making our own. We simply created a template with the appropriate text and printed our own on A4 label sheets

Try Librex (Librex Educational Ltd, Colwick Road, Nottinngham NG2 4BG www.librex.co.uk) tel: 0115 9504664.1000 label pockets £11.49

We are a small library &  I need to buy more date labels with pockets & issue cards. Gresswells only seem to stock self-adhesive labels now - more expensive.  Does anyone know of a cheaper way please?
Thanks
Candy Welch
Library Manager
Millie Hare Library
St Helena Hospice
Education Centre
Barncroft Close
Highwoods
Colchester
CO4 9JU
Tel: 01206 851560
Fax:01206 845969
email: [log in to unmask]
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the original message from your system.