Bernd-Christoph et al,

Thanks for forwarding this to the list.

We have only ever had a single subscription to EMBO Journal, so in no way
does our 175% price increase restore a former situation of multiple
subscriptions.

I noticed that when I visited Nature last year I got a pop window along the
lines of 'Your institution subscribes to Nature online, and this entitles
you to a 50% discount of a personal print subscription'

Would anyone at NPG be willing to comment on whether this attempt to use an
institutional subscription as a marketing opportunity was successful?

We have looked at the cost-per-download of EMBO Journal compared to other
HighWire journals. And under the new pricing model its value for money will
be significantly worse than other titles that get used a similar amount.

Very generous of EMBO to offer a bundled subscription to Journal and
Reports, but like to be able to CHOOSE if we want that, and we'd like the
CHOICE of a print-only subscription too!

Terry Bucknell
Electronic Resources Manager
Harold Cohen Library
University of Liverpool
PO Box 123 Liverpool L69 3DA

Tel: +44 (0)151 794 5408  Fax: +44 (0)151 794 5417
Email: [log in to unmask]