Hi

Carol, I think that your idea is a great idea - whilst I think that
Emilce's views can be a tad extremist - I believe that there are a lot
of issues out there affecting us, and having a discussion list to this
effect could help members put things into perspective.  A few issues
have been highlighted over the last few days, and getting things into
the open can hopefully help others by emphasizing that they are not
alone.

As far as chartering goes, I am doing route A simply for my own piece of
mind - my employers do not request it, and infact when I started we had
to write our own Route A programme, because I was the only non-chartered
Librarian within the organisation, which from a personal point is great
because I was involved from the beginning.  I am working hard to
complete it and feel that this list has helped, and the current
discussion has brought some right relief over the past few days!

The Library and Information Profession is compared to others, for
example Accountancy pathetically paid, especially when Accountants
qualify whether through ICAS, CIPFA, CIMA or ACCA earnings can jump from
22,000 to 30,000!!!!  Many Accountants don't even have a Hons degree!
But this comes with the territory and Accountants are valued more (for
some strange reason- they just seem to punch numbers into a calculator -
but I live with one and am allowed to say that!)- we just have to
continue to make ourselves completely invaluable - until the world
realises that it can't evolve without us!  (Although my partner and his
colleagues do phone me on a daily basis looking for all sorts of
information - so maybe we are on the way!)

Joanne

Joanne M Campbell

Library Information Services Manager (Scotland and Northern Ireland)

Marie Curie Cancer Care

0141 531 1354 (Glasgow)

0131 470 2217 (Edinburgh)