	From: mark.ludlam [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Sent: Tue 13/01/2004 00:17
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: Looking for a job?

	Although I've been on this list now for a number of years I've never
	contributed until now.  Tracey is right to mention the cost-benefit
	analysis of obtaining a degree or even a masters.  Most first/second LIS
	jobs tend to be just over £15,000 - exactly the threshold by which
	former students now have to pay back their loans.  Becoming a librarian
	is therefore one guaranteed way to remain in poverty through the first
	few years of your new working life.

	In Wales all FE college lecturers now start off on 19K.  I am on a
	similar salary but I have been working in FE as a librarian for 12
	years.  The salary level definitely has an impact on how I am perceived
	my college.  I too love my job but I find it galling to be expected to
	"support" new teaching staff (some of whom I remember as A-Level
	students), whose salary levels and status all surpass mine within a few
	short years.

	Some have suggested "keep chipping away", but sometimes it's impossible
	to chip away at a granite block when all you've got is a glass hammer.
	 I think this individual approach is the weakest method.  Collectively
	we are far stronger and this is where CILIP must take it's share of the
	blame.  This state of affairs hasn't just happpened. It has been
	happening for years and our profession has not been protected.  Can
	anyone name a chartered organisation (lawyers, accountants, surveyors
	etc.) that would be happy to see the majority of its members on such low
	salary levels?  The trend towards de-skilling is a global one which
	affects many professions, but it is time we said "No More".  Kathy Ennis
	at CILIP is doing a terrific job, but it should be the whole
	organisation, from its leadership supported by its members, who should
	be making this issue a central plank of all our activities.

	Regards

	Mark Ludlam