Playing devil's advocate (after recently chartering after more years
than I care to think about) I am not entirely happy about chartering.
Does it really provide evidence of our continuing professional
development or is it the practice element of a theory based course? Do
those who have chartered continue the process or do they play lip
service to departmental CPD schemes?

During the 1970's & 1980's when I was an engineer most factories
operated what was known as a closed shop. If you did not belong to the
relevant union you did not get the job but the government of the time
outlawed this practice for union members but retained and actively
encouraged it for the Professions. Membership of professional bodies
guarantees the members a protected status & therefore better
renumeration think lawyers, solicitors or architects. Whilst other
professions use CPD as evidence of their ability to practice think
doctors, nurses, physio's etc. So what does chartership give us apart
from the satisfaction of jumping through hoops? Our profession is not
protected, you are not better renumerated and it gives no real
indication of ability to do the job. Where is the evidence that
chartership is effective in developing the individual & the profession?

It is refreshing that people new to the profession should be
enthusiastic but they should also challenge & question the norms rather
than just accepting them.

Finally removing a pain may be quick but addressing the source of the
pain will be more effective.

Dave Guest

PS Any candidates who wish to visit the Lanchester Library at Coventry
will be more than welcome.