Dear List,

Taking a slightly different turn I wonder if I might prompt a new
discussion.

I am experiencing some problems with a fellow staff member and would like to
open the issue up to the floor, as it is one many of us will cover in our
PDRs. Any advice would be most welcome or just a general discussion would be
interesting.

Some background:

I work as a solo professional (full-time) and have one part-time
non-professional assistant. The staff member in question has been at the
college for coming up to ten years, some two years prior to my taking over
as Librarian. They are self employed for the remainder of the week and this
library job is purely a means of earning money. Despite this their work
level has always been of a good quality and I have always been able to leave
them pretty much to just get on with things. It has become apparent in the
last few months that this is no longer the case. They are becoming
increasingly distracted by students, personal issues, bringing personal life
to work , etc. I have begun to feel that they are not pulling their weight
and that perhaps when I am not on duty very little constructive work is
being done. But its quite hard to put my finger on specifics which makes
addressing the problem difficult. Confrontation is not an option (I know
this much from past experience)it causes more problems than it solves. They
have expressed an intention to leave work at the end of this summer and go
travelling around the world, but this isn't certain and leaves the library
in limbo until notice is handed in and there is always the possibility that
they will change their mind and stay.

The main problem is that I have no other professionals to discuss the
problem with and feel very isolated/frustrated by the whole situation. I am
trying not to count on the staff member leaving as this avoids the problem
and makes it worse if they decide to stay:o

Can anyone suggest possible coping strategies? As Lesha mentioned in her
last pre mini-break posting (in reference to another issue) - you catch more
bees with honey than vinegar...

Any suggestions on how this issue can be constructively included in my PDR
would be valuable!

To the floor...

Thanks

Sam