On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:11:59PM +0000, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:
> What advantage do you get by saying there is a second processor which
> you only use for maintenance operataions?  Couldn't you just run a
> additional process on the one real processor?

Well, first of all pbs_mom doesn't steal as much compute cpu cycles when
HT is on, it's not a big difference but it's there.
Secondly, some of our users do things like piping output through gzip
while doing computations at the same time. They generally get somewhere
around 102-103% cpu time used on their jobs on a physically single CPU.
This is a good thing.

Running atlas blas as a threaded libarary gives us 102% compared to the
non threaded version on our Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz for some larger
codes.

Every little piece of extra CPU gained is a plus.

One does however have to be careful not to run things that steal alot of
cache...

> Sorry, I think that should have been PCI Express, which, I think, is not

I suspected as much.

Internet: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +46 90 7866134 Fax: +46 90 7866126