A couple of novels that are not mentioned on the list Almut has cited are
Michael Faber's "The courage consort" and John Suchet's Beethoven trilogy
""The last master" - see
http://www.wendoverbookshop.co.uk/fiction/musicalnovels.htm

There's also an essay on music in English detective fiction  at
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/detective.htm

Malcolm

Sent by Malcolm Lewis
Beckenham and Lord's