Julie &others,

My opinion is that it's an excellent suggestion to have a combined
directory, and if we have an online version there would be opportunity to
search by using subject keywords (what does the library collect), type of
library (NHS, organisation, academic, voluntary etc) location, open to
members/non-members, physical or online library (or both), with links to
URLs, email addresses for enquiries and other such chances in broadening or
narrowing a search for libraries.

I'm a little bit worried about offering it online as there may be companies
out there who will grab a hold of all the data and generate their own
databases sending junkmail out.  This is a common problem with both print
and online directories that I have been involved with and I don't know what
the solution could be in restricting access, if indeed there are any
solutions to this problem.  Nevertheless, I'm all for electronic rather than
print, but it would be nice to have the print copy too as browsing is
sometimes quicker when you know what you are looking for.

Best wishes,

Helena Korjonen-Close
Information Services Officer
The Institute of Clinical Research