On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:54:01 -0000, Fay Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What about lifestyle drugs like PPIs for indigestion or whizzo stuff for
>cancer that increases lifespan by six weeks, both of which soak up buckets
>of cash thereby producing opportunity costs which disadvantage very many
>people with unmet needs (whether health or not)
>
>Or wasn't that what you meant? Maybe you should ask on pharmacist-UK?

That was not what I meant.  When I say "bad drugs", I mean bad drugs for
you, the patient.  I mean drugs that are prescribed and taken by patients
for perfectly good reasons and valid conditions, yet somewhere along the
line, the patient suffers side effects that have not been reported, or the
side effects are hidden because they are small, or the patient suffers
damage that is not documented elsewhere.

I would've thought GPs would know their patients better than pharmacists.
Still, this may not be true, and Jeff might come to the rescue here.

Why are you having problems with the concept "bad drugs"?

Risk