Dear all,

At our department at the University of Tromso a 2-year post doc position in experimental petrology will be announced as soon as we get the final approval from the Norwegian Research Council. The main task is to get our experimental lab running. Our experimental lab was built up and maintained by the late professor Kjell P. Skjerlie, who tragically lost his life in an accident last fall. We are looking for a person with high skills in experimental petrology at elevated P & T conditions, who is able and willing to initiate his/her own projects.

A Norwegian post doc is paid according to the Norwegian State salary scale, code 1352. According to present agreements, this equals a gross salary of NOK 355.148 per year, or 42.000 Euro/USD 51.500. 2% of the gross salary is deducted for the compulsory state pension scheme.

The lab is briefly described below, and in more detail on

http://www.ibg.uit.no/%7Ekjell/labsider/labforsteside.html

For further information about our department, please visit the following links:

http://uit.no/geologi

About the city of Tromso

Tromso is a relatively small city in northern Norway, with a population of c. 60.000, located at 70 oN. The natural surroundings are spectacular, with mountains reaching 4000 ft/1250m. During the summer season we have 24 hours of daylight (midnight sun) from c. May 20 to July 20, whereas the sun is away from November 20 to January 20. It is, however, not totally dark during this period, as e.g. the aurora borealis frequently flashes across the sky. For further information about the city of Tromsų, please visit the following links:

http://www.destinasjontromso.no/eng_default.htm

http://weather.cs.uit.no/

The geology is also splendid; we are located on the western edge of the Caledonides, with Archaean and Palaeoproterozoic basement rocs to the west, and high-grade metamorphic rocks including eclogites to the east. Exposures are excellent, and there are still lots of unsolved petrological problems.

If you intend to apply for the position, please report back to me on [log in to unmask]

You should also include your CV and a listing of your publications.

The description of the post doc position, our university and department is as follows:

POST DOC IN EXPERIMENTAL PETROLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF TROMSŲ, NORWAY.

At the University of Tromsų, Norway, a two year post doc position (Norwegian Research Council) in experimental/igneous petrology is vacant.

The position is attached to the Department of Geology at Faculty of Science, which consists of six departments:    Department of Biology, Department of Physics, Department of Geology, Department of Computer Science, Department of Chemistry and Department of Mathematics and Statistics.

The Department of Geology has 12 faculty members, 4 post doc/researchers, 9 research fellows and a technical/administrative staff of 8. The research activity at the department is within hard rock geology (petrology and structural geology), arctic marine geology & geophysics, and sedimentology & quaternary geology. The department is equipped with modern research facilities.

The department is located on the periphery of the Main University Campus.

The vacant position is attached to the research group in hard rock geology, which has 4 faculty members. This group is responsible for teaching courses and supervision at lower as well as higher levels. The research is mainly focused on experimental petrology, Precambrian and Caledonian tectonic and petrologic evolution in northern and western Norway, and tectonic evolution of the continental shelf off northern Norway and Svalbard.

Much of the research activity has been centered about our laboratory in experimental petrology. The laboratory houses three end-loaded piston cylinder apparatuses (two 'small' table mounted apparatuses and one large apparatus) and a 1-atmosphere Deltech furnace. The piston cylinders can maintain a pressure of at least 3.5 GPa, and in the large press we have reached a temperature of 2000 0C. Temperature is controlled by Eurotherm 808 and 2408 regulators, while the pressure is monitored by digital gauges. Temperature and pressure readings are transferred to a PC and the operator can check the experiments from anywhere. The 1-atmosphere furnace has attached to it a gas-mixing module for controlling fO2. The laboratory is equipped with all facilities necessary for pre and post preparation of cells and samples (lathe, low-speed saw, welder, polisher etc).  Experimental run products can be examined and analyzed on the JEOL 6200 SEM with an EDAX EDS micro analyzer at the University of Tromsų or on an on-line new Cameca SX100 EMP located at the University of Oslo.

The department also houses a laboratory for making thin sections, laboratory for mineral separation and a well equipped microscopy laboratory (including cathode luminescence and UV).

The vacant position is attached to the experimental petrology laboratory. Most of the working time should be devoted to research, research-related activities and research administration. Some teaching of courses in magmatic petrology and thermodynamics is expected until the vacant professorship position has been filled. Teaching is expected to be given in either one of the Scandinavian languages or English.

The applicant should be able to document high skills in experimental and magmatic petrology. Experience and skills from field related work and geochemical analytical methods are appreciated.

The appointee should put effort into the development in his/her field of interest and to the best of the university.

A post doc is paid according to the Norwegian State salary scale, code 1352. 2% of the gross salary is deducted for the compulsory state pension scheme. According to present agreements, this equals NOK 355.148 per year, or 42.000 Euro/USD 51.500.

A committee will judge the qualifications of the applicants. The main emphasis will be on the publications sent in by the applicant. Information and material to be taken into account in the evaluation must be submitted by the application limit. Names of references may be given.

The University of Tromsų wishes to recruit women for research. If the qualifications of a female and a male applicant are judged as equal, the female applicant will be given preference.

Appointment is done by the University Board after recommendation from the Department of Geology.

The applicants must send in a list in five copies of all their scientific papers saying whether they have been published or not, and if yes where they have been published.

The application, including the curriculum vitae, testimonials, certificates, and the list of publications should be sent in 5 copies to:

                  THE UNIVERSITY OF TROMSŲ

                  N-9037 TROMSŲ

                  NORWAY