--On Friday, February 27, 2004 4:42 PM +0100 james connolly
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> dear sir or madam, it has come to my attention that a contribution to
> this list, on james tyndall's origin and scattering by colloidal
> materials, appears to have been suppressed, perhaps by the list owner?
> albeit the suppressed contribution was penned by a colleague from an
> inferior norwegian university and, as such, might automatically be
> considered to have dubious scientific merit. nonetheless i feel that
> censorship of any form bodes ill for the future of this list. sincerely,
> j.a.d.connolly

Dear James,
As listowner for geo-metamorphism I would like to make it clear that I have
NOT censored any contributions to the (what was until now) very enjoyable
debate about blue quartz and James Tyndall. In fact I am quite annoyed that
you have sent a message to the list suggesting that I would do so without
contacting me about it first. I request that you apologise publicly (i.e.
on the list) for this slur.

Perhaps you could let me know what contribution you think has been
suppressed and who it was from and I can try to find out why it has not
appeared.

I suspect you have been told by someone that their posting has been
autorejected by the listserver because it does not recognise the e-mail
address that they are posting from. In which case the unsuccessful poster
would get a message such as the following:

"You are  not authorized to  send mail to  the GEO-METAMORPHISM list  from
your [log in to unmask] account. You might be authorized to send to the
list  from another of  your accounts, or  perhaps when using another mail
program which generates slightly different  addresses, but LISTSERV has no
way to associate this other account or  address with yours. If you need
assistance or if you have any question regarding the policy of the
GEO-METAMORPHISM list, please contact the list owners:

This happens frequently, because mail programs often send out a different
return address from the one that a listmember has registered with. This
means that members receive postings but find they can't make them - I have
sorted out three people this week who were having problems with this,
including Brigida who raised the subject of the blue quartz!

Perhaps James you should stop consider a little more before sending hasty
and incorrect messages to the list - see Jochen Mezgers posting. Thanks
Jochen.
The time I spend running this list is voluntary, but if people are going to
give me grief then perhaps I won't bother.

Gawen (geo-metamorphism listowner)

Dr Gawen RT Jenkin
Lecturer in Applied Geology      direct dial: +44 (0116) 252 3934
Department of Geology         general office: +44 (0116) 252 3933
University of Leicester                  fax: +44 (0116) 252 3918
LE1 7RH, UK
     For current PhD projects see www.le.ac.uk/geology/grtj1