Hi,

Among the many delights I've encountered since starting at Bolton was a
partial plesiosaur skeleton, cast into a hard yellow-orange resin. It's been
used as a handling object by our education department for many years now.
Well, I've now found the rest of the skeleton and come to two conclusions.

1.It's an Icthyosaur. The resin cast "head" was among the pieces I found.
It's basically the tip of an Icthyosaurs jaws. The rest of the skull is
missing. This didn't stop the intrepid caster however, who attached the jaws
to the last of the vertebrae and then sculpted the outline of a head around
the whole mess!

2.I'd really like to get it out of the resin, giving me the opportunity of
displaying what would probably be a pretty decent specimen.

So, the actual point of all this. Has anybody any idea how to safely remove
the fossil from the resin? anybody encountered this before?

I'm guessing some form of heat treatment is my best option, but any
advice/offers/suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers,

David Craven

Bolton Museum

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also be legally
privileged. They are intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are
not the addressee please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately,
permanently delete it. Do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in
reliance on it. This e-mail may be monitored by Bolton MBC in accordance
with current regulations.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses currently known to the Council. However, the
recipient is responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and
any attachment.

Unless expressly stated to the contrary, any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views
of Bolton MBC.

http://www.bolton.gov.uk