Four Volumes Blimey ! plenty of scope then for getting away from the tired
old debates of the 1980's when the iron fist of Thatcher was supposed to be
behind every heritage centre, marketing was heresy and fundraising was
unneccessary cos local councils knew what we wanted and did it all for us.

As a practitioner in museums, libraries, archives and heritage centres for
the last fifteen years I hope that some of the progressive strands in
heritage interpretation that I encounter daily will be explored in depth,
alongside the words of the Miserablist Tendency.

Ecological interpretation, enlightened wildlife site management, local
history groups, sensitive cemetery restoration, increased disabled access
to historic houses, the Young Roots and Your Heritage programmes, HLF in
general, cross-sectoral partnerships, the explosion of attractive visitor
friendly European funded volunteer led Scottish highland museums, Welsh
language teaching on the Internet, asylum seeker and refugee involvement in
museum programmes, Art Galleries for the Under-Fives, English folk
roots-reggae crossover music, easy-to-use archive photograph digitisation
projects, SSSI direct action and family history groups all have something
deeply heartening to say about the state of our history, culture, heritage
(and politics)today.

Brian Holmshaw
Museum and Heritage Education Consultant
Sheffield