I'm currently exploring ways to help adults with learning disabilities
engage more creatively with museums and galleries.  This is part of a
project called Access to Art, a collaboration between University of
Brighton, Sussex Downs FE College and Carousel (a local voluntary arts
organisation).

We have been developing more advanced art education opportunities for some
of the many talented artists with severe learning disabilities, for whom day
centre classes are simply not challenging enough. The project has been
extraordinarily productive for everyone involved (including Brighton art
students who work collaboratively with the Access to Art students).

However, one of the areas we are still trying to develop is the role of
historical/critical/theoretical studies, normally a key part of the art
curriculum at this level.
So far we have managed a very successful study visit to local contemporary
art gallery Fabrica and to the Ana Maria Pacheco exhibit at Brighton Museum.
However, logistical difficulties and costs are likely to limit the number of
visits we  can make, so I really like the idea of also using outreach/loan
collections.

The earlier messages also prompted me to think about extending this to the
day centres themselves, as memory - and the chance to construct narratives
of their lives - is crucially important to this group of adults.

Has anybody out there got any experience of working with adults with severe
learning disabilities - either in or outside the museum itself?

If you reply to me off list, I will collate any answers and forward to the
list later
Thank you
Pauline Ridley
Centre for Learning and Teaching