	Von: Christian F. Beckmann [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Gesendet: Do 07.10.2004 09:38
	An: [log in to unmask]
	Betreff: Re: [FSL] hp/lp-filtering

	Hi Andreas,

	I belive that SPM still uses a cosine-basis set for hp filtering. In
	FSL, the hp filter is implemented via a Gaussian weighted least squares
	line fit, see

	Marchini, J. and Ripley, B. (2000). A new statistical approach to
	detecting significant activation in functional MRI. NeuroImage,
	12(4):366–380

	for details. Essentially, a sliding window is moved across the time
	series and within this window a straight line is fitted through the
	data points using a least-squares criterion (but weighted by a Gaussian
	wrt to distance from the centre of the window. The window itself is
	then moved one data point and the process is repeated. As a final
	result, this technique creates a low-frequency time series which
	'follows' the main time series. When subtracted from the data, only
	higher frequencies remain. Wrt translating between packages: a
	hp-filter cutoff value should be comparable (i.e. the same hp filter
	cutoff should actually remove similar frequencies form the
	time-series).

	cheers
	christian

	--