Dear Lazar,

Your description sounds fine.
The Data Format Working Group decided that dim[4] would
always be time to make things simpler, so I'm afraid that
the multi-channel index has to be in dim[5] as you have it.

As I said before, we haven't implemented any support for
the vector or matrix storage options (which use dim[5]) but
we do intend to do this.  We will treat this dimension as
the index in a multi-component vector which I think should
be sufficient for your needs if I understand them correctly.
If you do have specific requirements for processing
multi-channel data which you don't think will be covered
then please let us know.

All the best,
        Mark

On 14 Dec 2004, at 03:12, Lazar Fleysher wrote:

> [...]
> "theoretical" answer.
>
> Now, we come to the practical situation....
> If Nchannel=1, FSL happily works.
>
> If Nchannel>1, FSL happily works too, but there is no way to switch
> between channels. (Or I do not understand how to do it.) It always uses
> the first index of the 5th dimension.
>
> Basically, I think, I am proposing to consider a possibility to add the
> switch in future FSL releases to consider the 5th dimension as the
> channel number.
>
> Once again, thank you for your kind help. With best wishes,
>
> Lazar
>

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Mark Jenkinson wrote:
>
>> Hi Lazar,
>>
>> Firstly, my theoretical answer:
>> The new nifti format does allow, in certain cases, the fifth dimension
>> to be utilised (e.g. for vector or matrix formats).  However, it
>> hasn't
>> been specifically arranged for separate "channels" to use this form.
>> The question is, would storing your separate channels as elements of
>> a vector (that is, a separate vector at each point) be sufficient?
>> If so, then the nifti standard is currently OK for what you want.
>> Note that nifti has been quite specific that dimension 4 is for time,
>> and so it is not possible to rearrange this.
>>
>> Secondly, my practical answer:
>> At present FSL and AFNI do not support the full variety of
>> possibilities
>> that the new nifti format has created.  We are all working towards
>> implementing features that take account of the new options, such as
>> the higher dimensions, the qform/sform transformation information,
>> etc. but at the moment our first pass implementations don't do
>> everything.
>> In the near future we hope to implement the rest of the features
>> like the higher dimensions for vector or matrix images.
>>
>> In the meantime, if you have multiple channels of 3D images, then
>> storing them as 4D images (and treating dimension 4 as channel
>> number rather than time) should work with most FSL programs,
>> as they do not make many assumptions about the time axis.
>> In many cases the images are just treated as a set of 3D images and
>> various programs will process things quite appropriately for a set
>> of different channels.
>>
>> I hope this helps explain the general situation in theory and also
>> helps you get things done in the real world for the moment.
>>
>> All the best,
>>     Mark
>>

>> Lazar Fleysher wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Steve,
>>>
>>> Hm....
>>>
>>> If dim[0] = 5, fslview happily displays the first image in 5th
>>> dimension.
>>> Do not take me wrong! I do not want you to fix this to "if (dim[0]
>>> do not know what to do}" even if you consider this as a bug!!! (like
>>> AFNI
>>> did) What I would propose is to have a switch to higher indecies of
>>> 5th dimension so that people who store data from several channels in