Hi,

The existing fsl release (note that some of this will
change in the next release) does not attempt to calculate
left-right order anywhere.  We say that fslview displays
in radiological convention only because that is how it
displays the standard image, where we know the left-right.

For all other programs (including flirt) we do not
assume anything about the left-right convention.  Therefore
if all of your images are in the same convention then
everything is fine - flirt will *never* flip left and right.

However, if you have some neurologically stored data and
some radiologically stored data, like our standard image,
(in Analyze format) then registration will not work.  You
must make your images consistent.  We recommend swapping
the left-right order of all input data to be consistent
with the standard image - otherwise our mm coordinates will
be wrong.  You can swap the order using
   avwswapdim inputimage -x y z outputimage

Hope that makes things clearer.
I'm not sure whether the problem you have with volumeA vs
volumeB is about getting the left-right order correct or
just about registering images that are 180 degrees
different in initial orientation.  Is it the case that
your images are 180 degrees different from the standard?

By default flirt only searches +/- 90 degrees from the
original orientation, so it is impressive that it actually
works for one of the images.  This indicates a very large
basin of attraction for the optimisation.  It not working
in the other image is what I would expect.  You can control
the initial search range using either the -searchrx -searchry
and -searchrz options in the command line, or the
"incorrectly oriented" setting in the flirt gui advanced
options, or the "full search" setting in the registration
tab of feat.

Also note that after avwswapdim this may not be a problem,
as they may be much more closely aligned.

Hope this helps solve your problems.

All the best,
        Mark

P.S. Note that in the next release that nifti files can hold
information about left-right convention, but that for the
initial release we will only be fully supporting
radiologically stored images, and that we will assume that
*all Analyze images* are stored radiologically.