Hi Heather,

Your original email looks to me like you are explicitly modeling
rest in EV-baseline (which is 1 in all the odd timepoints while
all other EVs are only non-zero at even timepoints).  In this
case, what you want to do is just drop this EV completely as
it does not add anything to your model.  The rest condition should
not be explicitly modeled in first level FEAT analyses.

(Technically the reason for this is that all data and EVs are demeaned
and hence it is not permissible to have EVs that add up to a constant,
non-zero mean: which in your case is achieved by
baseline + 1/30*EV30 + 1/10*EV10 + 1/40*EV40 + 1/20*EV20 + 1/50*EV50
= 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ... )

Also, I would recommend using a unit height for your other
EVs.  That is, make the non-zero entries equal to 1.0 not to
30 or 10 or whatever the force strength was.  Then you can
test for the mean effect with a contrast of [1 1 1 1 1] or a
linear effect with [-2 -1 0 1 2].  (Note that without normalizing the
height of the EVs, a linear effect would be more like [1 1 1 1 1] in
the contrast, and the mean would be complicated)

Individual force conditions can still be tested by contrasts like
[0 1 0 0 0] and you can still mask the mean effect with the individual
contrasts as Joe suggested.

Hope this makes things clear.
All the best,
        Mark