Hi,

Sorry, I think there's been some confusion here.
Let me start again...

The asym time (TA) determines how to convert phase difference into
field, in rad/s.  The formula for this is:
   FIELD = (PHASE DIFF) / (ASYM TIME) = (Phi1 - Phi2 ) / TA

So for a pair of gradient-echo scans with different TEs the appropriate
asym time would be the difference in TEs (i.e. TA = TE2 - TE1) as you
said.

Now I think what is confusing is what is meant by echo time when you are
not doing a standard spin-echo (eg. asymmetric spin-echo).
In this case it depends on how the sequence is set up.
Consider the following sequences ...
Case 1:
   90 degree pulse - wait TE/2 - 180 degree pulse - wait (TE/2 + TA) -
centre of readout

In this situation the extra phase (compared to the symmetric spin-echo)
is due to
the extra TA wait, and hence the field is given by the above
relationship.

Case 2:
   90 degree pulse - wait (TE/2 + TA) - 180 degree pulse - wait TE/2 -
centre of readout

This is like case 1, just with the opposite sign.

Case 3:
   90 degree pulse - wait (TE/2 + TA) - 180 degree pulse - wait (TE/2 -
TA) - centre of readout

In this case the phase difference with the symmetric spin-echo is twice
that of
the above cases so that the correct setting for asym time in the
software is
now (2*TA).

I hope this is clearer than my previous efforts and I'm sorry for the
confusion
caused by my previous emails.

All the best,
        Mark