Hi Ed,

that's the beauty of mixed-effects modelling. Your analysis looks OK -
can't see anything wrong in the way you've set it up - problem is your
extremely low number of degrees of freedom - that will reduce z-scores
dramatically and also cause the higher-level estimates of the
random-effects contribution to be very poorly conditioned (read: not
very accurate). You might want to think about not modelling the
between-scan variation and just treat it as a fixed-effects problem.

cheers
christian

--
  Christian F. Beckmann