Stephen,

that's a tricky problem with no good answer. IMHO the best way of
dealing with all these types of 'structured noise' is to remove their
effect during pre-processing (motion-correction etc.)

If you actually want to remove certain TRs from your measurements then
I'd recommend not doing it from the filtered functional data - if the
data is so bad that you decide to throw it away it certainly shouldn't
be used during filtering, e.g. if there is a large intensity dropout at
some TR this will have a negative impact on temporal filtering etc. In
such cases you might even be better off by replacing the data by the
average of neighbouring TRs prior to pre-processing.

cheers
christian

--
  Christian F. Beckmann