Hello Stefano

I looked a bit at the segmentation with FAST using priors as well. I am not an experienced user, but the FSL package also contains a script called 'sienax' which makes things easier for starting users. Within this script registration to talaraich is first performed, followed by the segmentation. So using this script you won't suffer from misalignment of your image with the templates used for segmentation. Afterwards your segmented image is returned to the original position of your input image.

If you want to use a deskulled image for segmentation, you can do this as well. Deskull the image, perform sienax and afterwards put the skull back into the segmented image.

Note that if you use sienax, look for the line containing the command 'fast' and add '-a' or '-A' depending on how to use the priors (as initialisation = '-a' or also as a 'weight' for the final segmentation = '-A').

Probably other more experienced users can help you better, but I hope my comments can help you a bit further,

Regards
Ronald Boellaard

Clinical Physicist Nuclear Medicine/PET

Department of Nuclear Medicine and PET Research

VU University Medical Center

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Phone: +31-20-4442887

Fax: +31-20-4443090