Hi Steve,
thanks very much for your quick reply.  We are still confused by a couple
of things:
- Our design involves 5 conditions, each presented twice for 30 seconds.
All conditions are modelled (including crosshair).  So the model is:
CH A B C D A B C D CH.
We did not use temporal derivatives.  I hope this all makes sense.
- All 5 PEs we specified in our design matrix (block design) are negative
in our ROI.  Thinking that our ROI may have a lower blood flow level than
the brain overall as Joe Devlin mentioned, we ran avwstats on a couple
filtered_func_img and get a mean of about 9900.  But the raw data in our
ROIs are typically around 11000-13000!
Part of our study is repeating an earlier study of the hippocampus done
with healthy subjects, analyzed using SPM.  In this study, we get the
expected results with FSL for new healthy subjects. We don't see the
predicted group differences between patients and controls and we are
trying to understand our data better.
So given a task that seems to work in a complex contrast, we have trouble
understanding how all PEs that were modeled are negative in value.

Thanks,
Dost