Hi Arun, I think this looks fine. Both your factors are fixed, surely (you
are getting representative samples of both levels of both factors)?

The only tweaking I can possibly see, is that you probably get slightly
better modelling if you replace EV4 with a set of EVs, one for each
subject ID, in the manner of the paired t-test - does that improve things?

Cheers.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Arun Bokde wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to set up a repeated measures 2x2 anova at the second level
> and examine the interaction.  I have two groups of subjects (group 1 and
> 2) and each subject did 2 tasks (task A and B).  The repeated measure
> would be the tasks (2 levels). I would like to ask the question: are
> there any task by group interactions ?  I have set up things as
> described below and I have a few questions.
>
> I already have the COPE images for every subjects and task.  I was
> thinking of setting up the second level analysis as follows (with
> smaller number of subjects for simplification).  Each row represents a
> COPE image from one subject.
>
>                                          group  EV1    EV2     EV3    EV4
> group_1_task_A_subj1        1        1        1        1            1
> group_1_task_A_subj2        1       1        1        1            1
> group_1_task_A_subj3        1        1        1        1            1
> group_1_task_A_subj4        1       1        1        1            1
> group_2_task_A_subj1        2       1        -1       -1            1
> group_2_task_A_subj2        2       1        -1       -1            1
> group_2_task_A_subj3        2       1        -1       -1            1
> group_1_task_B_subj1         1      -1        1       -1            1
> group_1_task_B_subj2         1      -1        1       -1            1
> group_1_task_B_subj3         1      -1        1        -1            1
> group_1_task_B_subj4         1      -1        1        -1            1
> group_2_task_B_subj1         2      -1        -1        1            1
> group_2_task_B_subj2         2     -1        -1        1            1
> group_2_task_B_subj3         2     -1        -1        1            1
>
> EV1 models task, EV2 models effects of group membership, EV3 the group x
> task interaction, and EV4 is the grand mean.
>
> The contrasts that I am thinking of implementing are as follows:
>        1      2    3    4
> C1    1    0     0     0
> C2    0    1     0     0
> C3    0    0     1      0
>
> and the F-tests are (with their interpretation)
>
>        F1    F2    F3
> C1    on    off    off  - main effect of task
> C2    off    on    off    - main effect of group
> C3    off    off    on    - interaction between the two factors
>

> Question: is the repeated measures factor (task) the same as considering
> this variable as fixed and the other factor (group) as random ?  I
> believe the F-tests above will not give me the exact test that I want
> but I am not sure.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Arun

 Stephen M. Smith  DPhil
 Associate Director, FMRIB and Analysis Research Coordinator

 Oxford University Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain
 John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
 +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)

 [log in to unmask]  http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve