Hi - if you are taking out the subject means (which makes sense) then your
concern is probably correct, namely that you need to re-state the dummy
variables such that each is zero-mean. Obviously this will change the
meaning of the group-level EVs and you will need different contrasts as
well, but I'm sure you'll be able to ask the questions you want. A minor
query on your contrasts - I'm not sure why you included subject mean
values in the "dual task" contrast.

Cheers.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Paige Scalf wrote:

> Hi FSL Guru's
>
>         I've painted myself into a really complicated repeated measures,
>         nested design, and I'd appreciate some feedback about whether the
>         EV's and contrasts I've set up for my second level analysis are
>         correct.
>
>         This is a dual-task task visual attention study, so we have each
>         of the dual task conditions in a single task form. Because we
>         have some repeated measures within the dual task condition,
>         however, we end up with an unbalanced (nested design).
>         The conditions are
>
>         A (single task)
>                 1 center task
>                 2 peripheral vision task, proximal to fixation
>                 3 peripheral vision task, distal to fixation
>
>         B (dual task)
>                 1 center task + proximal peripheral task
>                 2 center task + distal peripheral task
>

>         I've set up my matrix using dummy variables, such that
>
>         X1 = 1 single, 0 else
>         X2 = 1 center single, 0 else
>         X3 = 1 proximal peripheral single, 0 else
>         X4 = 1 proximal dual single, 0 else
>         X5 = subject 1
>         X6 = subject 2
>         X7 = subject 3
>

>         The EV Matrix ends up being
>
>         A1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0
>         A2 1 0 1 0 1 0 0
>         A3 1 0 0 0 1 0 0
>         A4 0 0 0 1 1 0 0
>         A5 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
>
>         And my contrasts are structured
>
>         single task 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
>         dual task   0 0 0 .5 .165 .165 .165
>         center single 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
>         etc.
>

>         My biggest concern is that my EV's are set up using a very simple
>         "on/off" matrix, but if I set it up in the more traditional manner
>         (i.e. 1 for single task, -1 for dual task) I find I can't make the
>         maths work out for the contrasts I need. (I'll be happy to accept
>         feedback about any errors, however).
>
>         Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
>
>         Paige

 Stephen M. Smith  DPhil
 Associate Director, FMRIB and Analysis Research Coordinator

 Oxford University Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain
 John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
 +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)

 [log in to unmask]  http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve