Hi - this all sounds ok. For practical numerical reasons, it's not trivial
to choose a threshold for "rank deficiency" that is appropriate for all
cases - as long as your value reported by the warning is greater than say
10e-5 then you can probably happily ignore it.

Cheers.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Steven Coen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using FEAT, I have 3 EV's I want to model - Stimulus A (1 second duration)
> Stimulus B (1 second duration) and stimulus C (5 seconds duration)
>
> Stimuli A or B (randomised stimuli presentation, 20 stimuli each) is
> presented every 30 seconds beginning at timepoint zero i.e 0, 30 , 60.
>
> The third stimuli "C" is subject responses that I am not interested in but
> want to put in as a co-variate. "C" occurs every 30 seconds (40 in total)
> starting at 15 seconds: ie 15, 45, 75.
>
> When I put in these three conditions as EV's I get the rank deficiency
> message. However, when I code A and B as the same EV i.e simply one
> stimulus every 30 seconds for the duration of the experiment and still
> include "C" there isn't a problem. I don't understand why!? There are the
> same number of stimuli with the same ISI and duration, just coded together.
> Can someone explain?
>
> Many Thanks for your help,
>
> Steve.

 Stephen M. Smith  DPhil
 Associate Director, FMRIB and Analysis Research Coordinator

 Oxford University Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain
 John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
 +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)

 [log in to unmask]  http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve