Thanks, Tim. I'll find avwmaths and try it out.
Yes, I do have a sensible reason for doing it.  We're simply trying
to define an ROI within the visual cortex for a subsequent
quantitative analysis and we won't be drawing any statistical
inferences about NOT B!  If that were permissible, we'd all be in
Nature every week ;-)
Andy