Hi Giuseppe, I suspect that what is happening is that FLIRT is giving you
a close-to-optimal affine (global) registration, i.e. doing the best
possible job of aligning the images globally - but that the EPI contains
distortions relative to the structural, which an affine transformation
cannot fix. Probably the best way to undistort the EPI is to use a B0
fieldmap, along with PRELUDE/FUGUE.

Cheers, Steve.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Giuseppe Pagnoni wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to get an EPI registered to a T1 (both preprocessed with BET)
> and no matter how many parameters I try to change, the results are not good:
> the global whole-brain overlapping of the resulting images does not look bad
> at first, but at a closer inspection, checking the ventricles and the gyry
> overlapping, the registered EPI always ends up lying around 10 mm below the
> T1. The images are of reasonable quality (at least to my eye), they cover
> most of the brain and have a fairly high resolution (EPI=3x3x3mm,
> T1=1x1x1mm). I could try and make a mask out of the ventricles, but I really
> see no reason why the registration would fail with normal parameters under
> such a standard situation.  Did anybody come across the same problem? I'd
> hate to have to resort to 'manual' registration....!
>
> thanks for any help
>
>     giuseppe

 Stephen M. Smith  DPhil
 Associate Director, FMRIB and Analysis Research Coordinator

 Oxford University Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain
 John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
 +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)

 [log in to unmask]  http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve