Archaeological science and the HER/SMR: e-conference 17th January
2005

Archaeological science has become a routine inclusion in many
interventions and can play an important role in our understanding of
their place in our cultural heritage. Whilst information regarding the site
and, sometimes, its artefacts will appear in county HER/SMRs there is
currently very limited provision to include any information about the
scientific techniques used or materials investigated. Consequently it is
difficult for planners or researchers to find which of these aspects have
been investigated where. As a result there has been ongoing
discussion between English Heritage and relevant Local Authority
Officers to address this issue by developing a standard for the
recording of basic information about archaeological science. This
includes two components. The first is an annexe to the MIDAS data
standard, to inform the development of relevant information systems
for the recording and sharing of the data. The second is agreement on
a relevant set of terms, for inclusion in existing thesauri, and new
appropriate term-lists, for recording archaeological science.

This e-mail is to inform the general members of the FISH list that we
will be running an e-conference from 17th January 2005 through the
FISH discussion forum and to invite you to participate. The main
discussion will concentrate upon how the proposals will provide access
to reports within the HER/SMR. We therefore need to make the index
comprehensive yet workable for both those who will be entering the
data and those who wish to query those data whether for planning or
research purposes. The draft proposals will be available for
consultation on the FISH discussion list file archive prior to the e-
conference. There will be a digest and summary produced at the end of
this e-conference and these will be placed on the Environmental
Archaeology web pages (http://www.envarch.net) and the FISH web by
the end of February 2005.

Loking forward to active and lively debate after our Christmas
festivities,

Best wishes
Jacqui

Jacqui Huntley
English Heritage NE Regional Advisor in Archaeological Science
Dept. Archaeology, University of Durham,
South Road, Durham. DH1 3LE

phone/fax: +44(0)191 33 41137
Mobile: +44 (0)771 3400387