Iris,
There's a new DVD of Sergio Leone's _Once Upon A Time in
the West_ that includes a three-part documentary on this
film as Leone's meditation on the western.  It might be
productive to look at films like this which are themselves
critiques of the genre.  Clint Eastwood's _Unforgiven_
comes to mind as well as the 1965 _Cat Bellou_.  These
three films, by the way, suggest some fun stuff in and of
themselves: Eastwood was Leone's number one outstanding
individual.  The oustanding individual of _Once Upon a
Time_, however, was a *villain* played by Henry Fonda (the
embodiment of the western hero), who in real life was also
the father of the hero(ine) of Cat Bellou--Jane Fonda.

Rose

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:54:35 +0100
  Iris Laner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>dear all,
>
>i'm wirting an article on western movies and the
>phenomenon of the setting of the outstanding individual
>in there. matter of discourse is the extraordinary
>positioning of the hero (sheriff-to-be as the "good law"
>or/and bandit as the "bad law") with regards to his
>facility to gain and keep this hierarchy (which might be
>some kind of dictatorship).
>what makes this extraordinary figure claim "i am the law"
>and how can this be accepted by the environmental
>society? is there some special kind of rhetoric the hero
>uses in order to convince the others? is there an example
>of sophism in the genre of western? in following up this
>matter i have to rely on clichés, of course as the whole
>genre turns out to be a cliché itself.
>so maybe, someone of you knows what movie might be a good
>paradigm, or - what would be even more helpful for me -
>what literature deals with this problems in the broader
>field of the western or other relevant genre(s).
>
>thanks a lot - i appreciate this mailing list and its
>members very much, as a competent source in the field of
>filmtheory and its critical discussion.
>
>best,
>iris
>
>*
>*
>Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
>After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of
>the message you are replying to.
>To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to:
>For help email: [log in to unmask],
>not the salon.
>**

*