> Dale Earnhardt is 3 without 3-nes
> it has nothing to do with math or a reference to an amount
> and the ESPN film "3" only refers to this race car driver
> no numbers
> no 2+1
> just a driver who got famous and crashed into a wall

Yes, but I think the point is that 3 does not exist without content of some
kind. Dale Earnhardt is the content; he is the "threeness" for this instance
of the form of 3, even though there aren't three of anything.

(That said, I'm not even sure if there is actually a consensus on whether
number is pure form or whether it not really some sort of self-sufficent
concept...the concept of three is readily imaginable without it predicating
anything...whereas the concept of, say, a sonnet is impossible to think of
outside the context of a poem. Anyone feel free to correct me here...)

Sarah Barmak

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.