Hi,
thinking about Munsterberg's assertion a little more. I wonder if we might think about this as a form of introjection.
We begin by watching the film as "out there" and end up by experiencing as "in here" . Now I know that there has been a
lot of work on the phenomenon known as "suture" whereby we can think of the cinematic apparatus as functioning to
producing a specific kind of spectator differentiated from, let's say, a theater audience. But I have been discussing
with my first year undergraduates the film 'Jesus Of Montreal'. and we were talking about how we begin by watching a
film about a group of actors making a play and we end by watching an allegory.  It would seem, talking to these 18/19
year olds that there is a transformation in their experience that the Munsterberg quote might be  useful as a starting
point in helping them to articulate the experience.
alan

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.