I am finding more and more that LEAs are reluctant to fund laptops through
the DSA, particularly for students with dyslexia. I had always assumed this
was due to cost.

From one of the suppliers we use regularly (who have signed up to the
Service Level Agreement), it is now cheaper to buy a basic spec laptop
(256Mb RAM), Ergo-Q stand, external keyboard and mouse and carry case
(£953.50) than it is to buy their Ed-Spec Desktop (also 256Mb RAM) and a
15” TFT monitor (£964.08 inc. VAT).

Admittedly a Desktop system with a glass-screen monitor is still about £80
cheaper, but LEAs often allow TFT screens to support screen reading /
minimise reflection and flicker, etc. Also, if a student wants to type
notes in lectures and doesn’t have a laptop, then we often ask for an
Alphasmart at a further £199 plus VAT.

Also I realise that there may be issues with insurance costs, etc., but
weighed up against the fact that a laptop may be more convenient for the
student, are insurance costs and the risk of damage enough to outweigh the
benefits to the student?

I would be interested to know the views of other assessors / LEAs on this
matter.

Thank you,

Becky