Mind mapping tools, perhaps more than any other type of software is subject to the flavour of the month syndrome. Equally it is true to say that people using any type of software tend to form an attatchment for the one they first used and something has to be quite radically superior to tempt them away. However mind mapping software in general is perhaps the most poorly applied software tool available today, irrespective of wether it is used by the disabled or the fit. All to often individuals fail to identify how to apply such technology in aidding and enhancing the thinking and learning process. These tools are not just for structuring facts or information in a manner that is more easilly interpreted by someone with a particular learning style, their main benefit is enjoyed when they are used to chalange, analyse and disassemble knowledge and information in a manner that kick starts the learning process. Simply to use them as a nifty way to make notes or structure essays etc is to fail completely to exploit their true potential. To get the most out of mindmapping of whatever version or style the individual needs first to be able to use their imagination - unfortunately a resource not employed as widely as it should. Before selecting a mindmapping tool for an individual the most important thing to establish is whether they have the potential to exploit it, if not then before anything is supplied the proposed recipient should be given the opportunity to develop the skills essential to be able to maximise the benefits that even the most mundane mindmapping software can bring to the individual.
In conclusion giving mindmapping tools to anybody unless they have the potential to be able to exploit it will only lead to confusion and what is a valuable tool being left in the box. Spend less time in teaching people what button to push to effect what change in software tuition and more time in teaching people how to apply such technology in a manner that can actually aid the scientific process of learning independently.
Terry Hart
________________________________

From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. on behalf of EA Draffan
Sent: Wed 27/10/2004 17:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: assisted software - mindmapping

In relation to Ian's comments, Abi and I are formulating a method for evaluating how certain mind mapping or concept mapping programs may help different learning styles or user preferences and will be presenting our thoughts at Bett. We would really welcome any comments on how folks make choices between the 20 odd programs available - OK we only tend to talk about four or five of them!

Please send any information or ideas you have to [log in to unmask] not the list. Many thanks.

Best wishes E.A.

Mrs E.A.Draffan
Assistive Technologist
07976 289103