If the LEA turned down a recommendation from an Access Centre report, they
should have contacted the assessor to discuss the problem.  Otherwise, the
awards officer should explain to the student what the problem is; any
explanation of the kind that it is general policy to refuse internet access
regardless of individual circumstances should be strongly contested.  In the
end, the awards officer has the final say, but decisions should be
justifiable and relate to the particular case.  You might contact the
original assessor and get some advice about the kinds of argument to make in
this case; however, the assessor has no power to oblige the awards officer
to carry out the recommendations and will not necessarily be keen to act as
an advocate for the student.

I am strongly resistant to recommending internet access as a matter of
course, but I have found that it has always been accepted when I have made
the individual case.

Bernard Doherty
Assessor
East Anglia Regional ACCESS Centre