________________________________

        From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bernard Doherty
        Sent: 10 August 2004 16:18
        To: [log in to unmask]
        Subject: Re: Texthelp for Mac.

        I've talked about this with Graham before and I wouldn't disagree
with his conclusion that a minidisk player will produce better quality
recordings than the other choices on offer.  However, there are other
considerations about how the recording is to be used that outweigh this
straightforward suggestion.  First, minidisks are not easy to use: they are
the acme of bad modern design where miniaturisation and complexity seem built
in for their own sake; compare them with the DM1 and imagine how long it
takes a new user to become competent with either machine.  Secondly, minidisk
files do not generally download easily to computers; it can be done
(generally from the earphone socket to the soundcard), but there is no
supporting software and users have to proceed through trial and error, as
well as knowing what they are doing in the first place.  The situation is
markedly different with DM1s and iPods.  Once a digital soundfile is on a
computer, a great deal can be done to it: there is a whole range of software
for cleaning up quality and boosting specific frequencies (so the initial
advantage of minidisks is largely negated).  More to the point, files can be
edited and relevant sections copied and collated together in new files.
These files can be attached to Word documents through hypertext links,
removing any need for students to practice their copy-typing skills.  The DM1
is balanced to record speech and there is no quick way around that; when
students attend lectures that contain sound examples in other formats (for
example, music students), I recommend an iPod and Griffen.

        If the recording device is intended to be stand alone and the
immediate recording is all that is of interest, then Graham's claims cannot
seriously be challenged.  On the other hand, if an integrated system of
technological support is being offered, minidisks are not my first choice.
(Oh, and why does everyone use the Z60?  The ECM-MS 907 is a much better mic
all round.  Maybe a lot of poor recording could be improved if we all started
looking at professional mics and stopped worrying so much about the machine
storing their signal, i.e., reversing the current generally accepted priority
of spending.)

        Regards, Bernard

        Bernard Doherty
        Assessor