Message

Thank you very much. That’s a great help.

Now all I have to do is get a C-Pen or equivalent that works natively in Mac OSX (rolls eyes to ceiling!).

Daniel

From: Ian Litterick [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 August 2004 15:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: [DIS-FORUM] Texthelp for Mac.

My MAC colleague Geoff Best writes:

RealMac's "VoiceBox" application is certainly a program I recommend for converting Text to Speech.
http://www.realmacsoftware.com/voicebox.php

VoiceBox saves the file in an AIFF format (which is the format used for Audio CD's). You can then open with or convert into an MP3 with iTunes. This is then playable from the computer or a compatible MP3 player.

For an MP3 player I would recommend the iPod and/or iPod Mini as the current MiniDisc recorders do not allow you to transfer recordings/music from an Apple Mac as Sony uses its own proprietary format. It is also not recognised by the Mac as an MP3 player.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/italk/

The iPod is currently seen as a very "trendy" device. This is true but it still relates very well to the Disability market. The iPod 20gb model £219 incl VAT has enough storage space to record over 150 hours via the Griffin iTalk. Tests by some assessors have shown this solution works very well and is seen as a better solution for Apple Mac students as well as some/most Windows based students.

We are currently in the process of testing a number of MP3/recording devices to provide the pro and cons for various situations. If you are looking for a specific dictation machine then the Olympus DM1 is the recommended choice.

The iPod also allows you to transfer files (backup data, move data from one computer to the next,
 hold calendar information as well as RTF files which you can then read on the iPod.

Type and Talk was produced by TextHelp back before they released Read and Write for the Mac late 2003. Type and Talk was never a product I could in good conscience recommend and it took far too long to spell check.
For the Thesaurus option I would recommend Spell Catcher. This has performed very well.
http://www.dyslexic.com/database/articles/spellchecker.html
 . Not all the facilities of Read and Write Word finder, but a start.

Regards
Ian Litterick
www.iansyst.co.uk
www.dyslexic.com