From: Marie Norris [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 July 2004 14:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: long message - personal request

Dear dis-forum colleagues,

I’ve always thought you have to be brave to send a message to dis-forum, however I always read the comments and discussions, and over the years I have learned a great deal from you all. I would welcome any comments or feedback on a personal issue, relating to my son. See below. I’m sorry the message is long.

He is dyslexic and had an access centre assessment three years ago. His greatest difficulty has always been time management and organisation. At his needs assessment he asked for what he called a key worker – someone to meet with him regularly to keep him on track with his work. When he received his draft needs assessment he had been recommended a dyslexia tutor.  He asked again for a key worker, but was informed that a key worker was not recommended and that the dyslexia tutor would teach him the skills to manage his work. He accepted this at the time.

Over the three years of his degree studies he has, as expected, had time management and organisational problems with his work. He has met with the dyslexia tutor only a couple of times. His reasons for not taking up the support were – he didn’t make any appointments as he couldn’t remember what days the service was open; he went at the wrong times; he didn’t want to go for dyslexia coping strategy teaching when what he actually wanted was someone to get him going with the assignments; he wanted support with tackling the work but the tutor offered discussion sessions only.

In first year his grades were good; in second year they began to falter though he only had one re-sit assignment. During third year he had no results at all over the year, nor any feedback from his tutors. He has now received his degree results, and has passed, but with no honours – due to failing two modules and not handing in one piece of work. He did not know that he had failed any assignments. At his university it is the responsibility of the student to keep in contact with the tutors, and he did not do this (possibly related to his organisational difficulties).

  • He did not hand in the piece of work after having lost confidence in himself.
  • He didn’t complete any extenuating circumstances form.
  • He never asked for dyslexia tutor support because he didn’t want this type of help.
  • He was never organised enough to take the initiative to utilise the general support services to act on his behalf.
  • He appears confident and people may interpret his problems as being related to laziness and indifference rather than the fact that he is disorganised and muddled.

As someone who has been involved in student support for years I can see how he could have improved his experience and his grades. In a previous workplace if a student presented with such issues, I have asked for a re-assessment of needs and allocated a key worker whose responsibility would have been to sort the issues listed above. My son has not wanted me to advise on his issues and the taking up of any support. I have respected this, but his difficulties meant that he didn’t do anything to manage his situation. He is meeting with student services at his university on Monday. He may be offered re-sits next year. He may accept the pass he has got.

Many of you will recognise the scenario and have dealt with students in similar situations. What advice would you offer?

With best wishes, Marie

Marie Norris

Learner Support

President Park

President Way

Sheffield S4 7UR

tel: 0845 4565857

fax: 0800 0830841

This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message from your computer and destroy all copies. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Registered Office:

Learner Support Services Ltd
President
Park

President Way
Sheffield
S4 7UR

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.