Message
This is very useful. Thanks Ian. Andy
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Ian Litterick
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: Inspiration

My colleague Abi James writes:

Spark-Space has been designed with dyslexic students in mind and it is based around the concept of being able to rotate maps and see it at different angles. Although this may suit very visual-dyslexic users, we found that many find it dis-orientating and confusing. Also the toolbar and buttons are not intuitive - the buttons are not standard Microsoft Office buttons and the tooltips aren't that helpful so it is not easy to learn your way around.

Sensory Software have developed a concept mapping program called MindFull. This has been developed with input from dyslexia experts across Europe to be easy to use and understand for all dyslexic students. Maps can be drawn through the mouse controls and easily linked together. There is an outline view which can exported to Word. The toolbar uses standard Microsoft Office buttons and all the menus have been deliberately kept very short in an effort to make it as easy to use as possible If you would like to know more about MindFull there are details on our website (http://www.dyslexic.com/products.php?pid=313) or we can provide copies to evaluate.

Abi has produced a comparison of some of the more common Concept mapping software at http://www.dyslexic.com/database/articles/conceptcompshort.html

We'd be very happy to hear any other perspectives. The concept mapping field is increasingly crowded  . . .

Regards
Ian Litterick
www.iansyst.co.uk
www.dyslexic.com