We have managed to negotiate for a paper version of the QTS tests for a visually impaired student.
No other ocntact with TTA over them.
Sheila

Sheila Watts
Head of Support Service for students with disabilities
Liverpool Hope University College
Hope Park
Liverpool
L16 9JD
Tel/Minicom  0151-291-3064
e-mail [log in to unmask]

Liverpool Hope University College accepts no responsibility for this e-mail, its contents and any loss or damage arising in any way from the receipt or use of this e-mail and its attachments.

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/06/04 10:22am >>>
Have others experienced problems obtaining permission for  alternative paper
version of QTS tests for PGCE students?
 I was astonished when I contacted the TTA to support a dyslexic students'
request for paper alternatives to the computer test for numeracy that they
asked for another diagnostic assessment as the current one only recommended
extra time, a reader and separate invigilation. They were happy to allow
this but not allow arrangements for a hard copy test. This student (and many
other students no doubt)  with mild scotopic sensitivity, experiences
difficulties with the format of the maths test where she has problems
'reading' the scattergraphs, has to scroll up and down to re-read questions,
and close tables so she can re-read questions before re-opening the table
again. The questions are read out twice which is very distracting too.
Despite having her E P report the TTA seemed unable or unwilling to
extrapolate the information sufficiently to allow her to sit a paper
version. The E P would not have known she was thinking of doing teacher
training (and QTS tests on computer) when he assessed her. She has taken the
test on computer 5 times already.
I am hoping they will re-think this as it surely does not comply with SENDA
and I intend to ask for paper copy for other students with similar
difficulties.

Mary Reece
Dyslexia Adviser
Disability Resource Centre
The Old Library
University of Exeter
Prince of Wales Road
Exeter
EX4 4PT
Tel:(01392) 262094
Fax:(01392) 262092
The information in this email and any attachment is confidential and may
contain privileged information intended for the addressee only.  If you
received this email in error, please reply to me stating the error, and