I've just picked up my email and was shocked to hear the news.

I met Alan at Middlesex in 1991 -1992.  He had just finished  or was finishing his degree and was starting support for disabled students.  We used to record information in an old classroom with a tape recorder, Microphone and a blanket to dull the sound.  It was his drive and fervent belief in equal rights issues that kept things moving.  By the time I graduated in 1994, Alan had created an office that was successfully supporting students.  He also introduced me to what is now my field of work.

In this area we often meet at conferences etc and only get a certain impression of who people are. I remember that Alan could be quite impatient at times, particularly if he felt that rules had been made for the sake of it or if things needed to be done urgently (which, to be quite honest they always did  ....  nothing changes in this area does it).  He was also a very caring individual.  Perhaps we don't always see this at the conferences etc, but I remember his help and support from when I worked with him.   It meant a lot. That to me has always said awful lot about him.

We kept in touch from time to time and I was truly saddened to hear of Alan's death.  He did everything with a great deal of passion and he was a passionate believer in human rights and equality issues.

I shall always be grateful that I worked with him.

He will be sadly missed and fondly remembered.

Stuart Walker