-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Bloor
Sent: Friday 23 April 2004 16:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Establishing need for student to use PC in exams

Dear all

There seems to have been lots of messages regarding the type of modification
/ additional time allowances etc for students undertaking examinations but
is there anyone out there with suggestions or experiences to help us with
establishing a student's need to use assistive technology resources in
examinations...

In particular I am wondering to what extent a student who has used a PC as
one would use a pen and paper is considered, as a matter of course, to be
"eligible" to use such resources in examinations or whether we need say an
ed psych's say so...this latter possibility causing me some concern because
it seems to me that the need for such resources is evidenced by a functional
assessment of the student's learning style and preferences rather than by
the kind of assessment usually undertaken by ed psychs which seem to get
more to the underlying nature of the difficulty rather than how this is
evidenced and thus how it might be addressed functionally in relation to
learning...and in this particular instance in evidencing learning through
examinations....

So I guess my preference is for a Disability Support Service / Assessment
Centre type recommendation, but wondered...what happens elsewhere?

Regards

Simon Bloor
Access SUMMIT