-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Hazel Devereux
Sent: 09 January 2004 12:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: travel costs for non-medical helpers

Alice
in the past I've negotiated with LEA's on an individual basis and
they've usually agreed to fund travel and PA costs as long as it's an
integral part of the course and they know how much it's going to cost
approx., up-front.
regards
Hazel

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/01/2004 09:52:47 >>>

Here we run a Learning Support Assistants (non-medical helpers)
scheme,
where LSA's receive a standard hourly rate of pay for the hours that
they work.
A number of our students are on courses that involve studying off-site
i.e. day field trips, museum visits, research visits etc. and require
LSA support whilst doing such activities.

I am wondering who should meet the additional traveling expenses of
non-medical assistants when they are supporting students away from
their
normal place of work. Can this be met from a student's DSA as part of
their non-medical helpers allowance? If the non-medical helper has to
meet costs themselves, then there is a disincentive for them to
undertake this work. Or should the institution running the scheme meet
the costs from invoicing LEAs a greater hourly amount than they pay
non-medical assistants?

thanks

alice

Alice Pennington
Disabilities Officer

RED Centre
University of Surrey Roehampton
Froebel College
Roehampton Lane
London
SW15 5PJ

Tel: 020 8392 3113 ext 4088
Fax: 020 8392 3735
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

content by The University of Surrey Roehampton