Hi,

I've been contacted by a 4th Year Building Surveyor student looking for
answers to the following questions. If anyone could help him, please
either e-mail him back at [log in to unmask] or I'll try to pass on
anything I can.

Many thanks,

Robert Softley

1. Does the government currently provide grants for businesses that
have a disabled employee, to help with the cost of adaptations?  If yes
can you please provided some information.

2. I have read that the government has reportedly set aside £11
million to help smaller business in meeting the cost of adaptations to
comply with the final stage of the 2004 Act, is this a true figure or do
you know of any other grants/money’s available from the government?

3. At present is it possible to get grants to adapt your home?  Can
you please provide some information?

4. As part of my dissertation I have carried out a case study of a
primary school to find out all the required adaptations a public building
will need to comply with the Act.  Can you advise if an industrial kitchen
requires being adapted?

5. Can you advise if a public building e.g. a school would require
just 1 unisex disabled toilet for teachers and pupils?  Would this be the
same for other public buildings?

6. Once the final stage of the Act is implement in October of this
year, do businesses have to carry out the required adaptations and
alterations within a set time?

7. Do you think the final stage of the 2004 Act, has been publisised
enough to make building owners and occupiers aware of the need to comply
and how to do this?  If no can you please give in your opinion more
effective means of informing building owners and occupiers?