Dear all

I recently screened a student with English as an additional language and referred him to the Educational Psychologist that we usually use (after consultation with the EP and his agreement that he felt he could offer a fair assessment).

The report has come back and states that the student does not have dyslexia, and is in the low average/below average range of ability (the vocabulary and information sub-tests were not administered).  The student is unhappy and does not agree with this outcome and feels strongly that he has dyslexia.

I was wondering if anyone else offers either EP assessment in the student's first language or provides an interpreter or has any other procedures in place.  I am unsure whether to offer a second assessment with one of these options in place.

Many thanks

Louise Thompson
Asst Disability Adviser
Equality and Diversity Office