Hi there

We are supporting a student who is 6 foot 8 inches due to a medical condition
that is classed as a disability.  He claims DSA for the disability, and DSA
has provided him with an extended bed in Halls of Residence, plus an adjustable
table and specially made chair for his room.
In College, we have purchased 2 of those chairs, so that he can have one handy
in the 2 buildings he frequents, and also a number of adjustable tables.

I think tallness may become a disability as soon as a GP is willing to accept
that it is damaging a person, or that it seriously inhibits a person's ability
to cope in the world without adjustments being made. I think it would be worth
advising him to ask his GP to support a claim for DSA, because he could then
access the kind of equipment as detailed above, and you may find it easier to
access Uni funds for providing the necessary adjustments ( furniture)while
he is in Uni buildings.

The worst scenario would be that the student's condition deteriorated because
of a failure to provide for him, and of course, there would be the additional
risk of litigation should that happen!!

good luck

cindy curtis
Disability Co-ordinator